Thighplasty (Thigh Lift)
A Thigh Lift, or thighplasty, reshapes the contour of either the inner or outer thighs by removing excess fat and skin to form a well-proportioned, natural appearance. Depending on individual circumstances, an inner, vertical, or outer thigh lift approach will dictate the number and location of incisions required.
Who is a Candidate for a Thigh Lift?
- A person who has been unable to achieve the appearance they desire through exercise and diet, and has loose or sagging skin in the thighs
- A person who is in good physical health
- A person whose weight is stable
Intended Results of a Thigh Lift
- Although it takes several months for your body to fully recover, the results of your thigh lift surgery will be immediately apparent.
- The excess skin and fat will be replaced by smooth, well-contoured thighs.
- There will be some visible scars.
Procedure Description for a Thigh Lift
- Anesthesia is administered.
- The exact location of the incision will depend on the preference of the cosmetic surgeon, the extent and location of the desired correction.
- The contour of the thighs will be shaped.
- The incisions are closed with sutures.
- Occasionally drain tubes are required
Healing and Recovery for a Thigh Lift
- It is extremely important that you follow your cosmetic surgeon’s instructions closely.
- Your incisions will be bandaged, and any drains will be placed temporarily.
- After then initial swelling and bruising subsides, the results will be immediately visible.
- It can take up to 8 months for 100% of the edema to completely subside.
- Surgical incision scars tend to improve for a little over a year.
The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure for a given individual can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are rare, however, one should realize that a thigh lift can be a fairly extensive surgery and may require an extended time to recover.
Are you considering a Thigh Lift? Visit our to find a highly-qualified cosmetic surgeon near you.
Reviewed by Angelo Cuzalina, MD, DDS, a board-certified cosmetic surgeon and owner of Tulsa Surgical Arts in Tulsa, Oklahoma.