Are you concerned about the appearance of your skin? Does your face lack an even tone or texture? Have you begun seeing age spots, fine lines, wrinkles, or mild damage from acne?
Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive procedure that helps renew the appearance of the skin by removing the top layer with a mildly abrasive tool. It is typically used on the face and neck but can also be used on the body to reduce the appearance of stretch marks and scars.
It is done in the office with no anesthetic and it requires no downtime.
Who Is a Candidate for Microdermabrasion?
- A person who is in good physical condition
- A person with a dull skin tone
- A person who has uneven pigmentation on their face
- A person who has spots from age or melasma
- A person who has fine lines and wrinkles
Who Is Not a Candidate for Microdermabrasion?
- A person who has active acne
- A person who is undergoing another type of treatment on the face
- A person who has skin problems such as rosacea or psoriasis
- A person who has a health condition that may impact healing
Intended Results of Microdermabrasion
- Reduction of age spots and or sun damage
- Even-out the skin tone
- Diminish the appearance of mild scars
- Decrease acne and or clogged pores
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
Procedure Description for Microdermabrasion
- No anesthesia is needed for this procedure
- A fine tool is used to gently remove the top layer of skin with a diamond or crystal tip and vacuum the exfoliated skin away
- After the procedure, a moisturizer with sun protection will be applied to the skin
- The skin may appear red for an hour after the procedure
Options for Microdermabrasion
[link to individual procedure pages]
The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure for a given individual can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are rare.
Are you considering Microdermabrasion? Visit our Find a Surgeon Directory to find a highly-qualified cosmetic surgeon near you.
Reviewed by Jason Emer, MD, FAAD, FAACS, who specializes in cosmetic dermatology and body contouring in West Hollywood, California.