Autologous fat transfer – Gluteal augmentation surgery – Buttock augmentation with fat grafting
It has become increasingly popular to have fuller, rounded buttocks. This look is achieved by the Brazilian Butt Lift, which uses excess fat, harvested from other parts of the body, to reshape the contour of the buttocks.
For people who have a sunken or flattened appearance or are otherwise dissatisfied with the contour of their buttocks, the Brazilian Butt Lift is a safe and effective procedure.
Who Is a Candidate for a Brazilian Butt Lift?
- A person who is in relatively good health overall
- A person who desires fuller-rounded buttocks
- A person who has excess fat that can be used for the transfer
Who Is Not a Candidate for Brazilian Butt Lift?
- A person who does not have excess fat that can be harvested
- A person whose health is compromised
Intended Results of Brazilian Butt Lift
- Immediately following the procedure, the shape of the buttocks will be enhanced, providing a shapely, rounded, more projected contour.
- Although results of fat transfer are permanent, as the injected fat becomes integrated with the existing tissue, a portion of it may be absorbed by the body in the first few weeks after surgery.
Procedure Description for Brazilian Butt Lift
- Anesthetic, either general or local, is administered
- Small incisions are made in the areas where fat will be extracted and injected.
- During liposuction, a thin, hollow tube, called a cannula, will be used to suction excess fat.
- The extracted fat is purified.
- Another cannula will be used to inject the purified fat from syringes into the buttocks.
- The incisions are closed with sutures.
- Drains will be inserted.
- After the fat transfer has been completed, the results are immediately apparent although it will be a few months before the final results are seen.
Healing and Recovery for Brazilian Butt Lift
- It is important to follow your cosmetic surgeon’s instructions to avoid complications and ensure the best outcome.
- You may have drains during the immediate recovery period, which will be removed
- You will need to wear a compression garment as you heal.
- Follow instructions about putting pressure on the buttocks closely.
Options for Brazilian Butt Lift
The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure for a given individual can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are rare.
Are you considering a Brazilian Butt Lift? Visit our Find a Surgeon Directory to find a highly-qualified cosmetic surgeon near you.
Reviewed by Victoria Karlinsky, MD, FACS, a board-certified general, cosmetic, and facial cosmetic surgeon who practices at New Look New Life Cosmetic Surgical Arts in New York.