Residents Are Your Future
Tuesday, March 24, 2020
By Suzan Obagi, MD
As AACS celebrates its 35th anniversary, it is an excellent time to reflect on our proud past and dynamic future. Our resident members are a critical part of that future. As someone who has served continually in AACS, ABCS and CSF leadership for 12 years, I can share that we need new voices to advance the visibility and viability of our specialty.
As you know, there are no cosmetic surgery residencies, nor will there be in the foreseeable future. We have seen different specialties offer cosmetic surgery exposure to their residents to meet their individual board requirements, but those requirements are small and deficient in the breadth of training. We need to reach residents early in their training to make them aware of our society and the path to AACS certified fellowships and board certification.
By attracting resident members, we can:
- Make our Academy larger, stronger, richer and more diverse
- Create a natural pipeline to fellowship programs
- Grow the number of surgeons who are ABCS and ABFCS certified
- Support the next generation of AACS leadership
For the 2021 AACS Annual Scientific Meeting, I have set a personal goal of having a large and robust Resident Forum with over 50 participants and launching an AACS Residents’ Council.
You can help AACS achieve this goal by:
- Contacting your former residency program and asking to share information on AACS resident membership
- Finding one or two residents in your area and personally inviting them to join AACS
I know that everyone reading this article feels strongly that AACS has an important role in cosmetic surgery today and tomorrow. Please join me in helping to grow our resident Membership.
<< Back to main page of The Consult