Post-pregnancy cosmetic surgery
Every woman who has given birth can attest to changes her body has endured as a result. Fortunately, a skilled cosmetic surgeon can help to restore a more youthful appearance, and eliminate many of the tell-tale signs of childbearing. The specific procedures depend on the individual’s aesthetic goals but, a Mommy Makeover usually involves 3 or more of the following procedures:
Who Is a Candidate for Mommy Makeover?
- A woman who has given birth once and is dissatisfied with the effects of childbearing on her body.
- A woman who does not intend to become pregnant again.
- A woman who last gave birth at least 6 months ago.
- A woman who is in good overall health.
Who Is Not a Candidate for Mommy Makeover?
- A woman who may still become pregnant
- A woman whose weight is unstable
- A woman who is still breastfeeding
- A woman whose overall health is compromised
Intended Results of Mommy Makeover
The intent of a Mommy Makeover is to restore a woman’s pre-pregnancy shape and appearance. Specific procedures will vary by the individual, according to their aesthetic goals.
- The size and shape of a woman’s breasts can change dramatically during pregnancy and breastfeeding. A breast lift and/or breast augmentation can help restore their pre-pregnancy shape.
- Liposuction can help to enhance the contour of the body by removing excess fat.
- A Tummy Tuck removes excess skin, repairs the abdominal muscles, and restores a flat tummy.
- Buttock Augmentation enhances the shape and size of the buttocks.
- Vaginal Rejuvenation reshapes genital skin that may have undergone trauma during during childbirth.
Procedure Description for Mommy Makeover
- In most cases, a Mommy Makeover can be done in one surgery however, some circumstances may dictate that it be divided in to separate procedures.
- The specific procedure steps involved may vary considerably from one individual to another.
Healing and Recovery for Mommy Makeover
- You will require assistance at home for the first week or two as you recover.
- Compression garments will be worn to assist your healing process.
- It is very important that you follow your cosmetic surgeon’s instructions carefully.
The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure for a given individual can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are rare.
Are you considering a Mommy Makeover? Visit our Find a Surgeon Directory to find a highly-qualified cosmetic surgeon near you.
Reviewed by J. Kevin Duplechain, MD, who specializes in facial cosmetic surgery and skincare in Lafayette, Louisiana.